Welcome!

I have loved visiting cemeteries since I was a child. It used to freak out my mom because she thought I was thinking about death too much but I was more curious about the lives of the people buried there. Through the years I have also been fascinated by the numerous head stones and grave markers. Please enjoy my fascination!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

On a Mission....

I am a Photo Volunteer for http://www.findagrave.com/ . A photo volunteer is someone who is willing to take photos of headstones within a given zip code. If family members/friends live outside of the area of the cemetery, they can go to the specific memorial page on the Find A Grave website and request a photo of the headstone.

So, the past couple of weeks I had received some emails for photo requests. When I woke up yesterday, I wanted to go up to Oakmont Memorial Park, which is only about a 5 minute drive from here. I checked the website again and noticed that the photo requests were still unclaimed so I decided to claim the three I saw for this cemetery. Hubby grabbed his camera equipment (for his own project), I grabbed my camera and headstone information, and we were on our way.

Rain was moving in so it was cloudy and windy with light sprinkles. I did not mind it at all.

I found the three names I was looking for:




I even received a 'thank you' email from one of the requestors. He had seen his father's gravesite in years.



Here are other photos I took while wandering around:

Here are a couple of memorial benches:


The view from near the benches:


This is the top of a memorial with no name yet engraved on the marker:

The Gonzales Estate:

I am still trying to research the history behind the Gonzales Estate above. It is the largest memorial in the cemetery and there is only one urn in there.

No comments: